My mom always makes this when we were younger, sometimes she also makes Squash Leche Flan and the real Leche Flan, only she uses a steamer. But since we have free electricity here, included in our monthly rent, why not maximize the oven. Here's the outcome of what I baked in the wee hours of the morning for my son Miggy's baon the next day. This is also what I'm going to bring to Joy's when we have our get-together on Valentine/CNY/Family Day long weekend:
4 cups bread, cut into small cubes
4 cups evaporated milk
1/3 cup sugar for caramelization (for the baking pan)
1-1/3 cups sugar
4 eggs, beaten with a fork (at room temperature)
2-1/2 tbsps. margarine, melted
1/4 tsp. vanilla (or more)
raisins or chopped candied fruit or some nuts
Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
1. Soak the bread cubes in the milk mixture for at least one hour.
2. Caramelize the 1/3 cup sugar in 3/4 cup water. Boil for at least 10 minutes to get the right consistency, then pour into your pan.
3. Add the rest of the ingredients to the soaked bread mixture: sugar, eggs, melted margarine, vanilla, and raisins.
4. Pour the mixture into the “caramelized” pan.
5. Put the pan with the mixture in a baine marie in a pan of water.
6. Steam in a pre-heated over for an hour or until the toothpick test says it’s done.