Tuesday 24 November 2009

Jonah and the Sunday School kids

It was my second time to be a Sunday School teacher last Sunday. My first stint was just an assistant to the teacher. We just made crafts and taught the kids a song which they sang in the congregation. Last Sunday, I was the only one, my assistant forgot about it and I handled the 0-6 aged kids. It was 'nosebleed' (an expression that describes the situation where speaking fluent English is necessary). My previous work exposed me to training Americans and meeting with them frequently in web conference but the experience with the kids is different. Imagine, all of them want to speak at the same time and talking like a racecar in Canadian accent. I don't think I can survive another hour, good thing it's only an hour and a half LOL.

Anyway, I told them about the story of Jonah and I think it blessed me more than the kids before me. God told Jonah to go to Nineveh to tell the wicked people there about God, to repent and worship God, but Jonah refused and went to a boat instead. A storm came and the people on the boat threw Jonah who was then swallowed by a big fish (or whale). He was inside for 3 days. Only after Jonah repented and seek God's help was he spitted out of the big fish and thrown into dry land. He then obeyed God and went to Nineveh. If he had obeyed God the first time, he would have not experience those terrible things that happened to him. I hope we can all learn from the story of Jonah.

After the storytelling, the kids drew, colored and made cut outs of a big fish with Jonah inside. I also taught them the song "Without God we cannot be" which they sang before the congregation. I feel proud but mostly blessed because I have spent some hours for God. I hope I can be used again for His glory.

P.S. One of the kids - a 3-yr old girl told me after I told them I'll be their teacher for the day, "You know Tita Irmee, You're so pretty" (o di ba it rhymes? hehehe). I wonder who among my boys she fancy?

No comments: