Friday 18 September 2009

Visit to Toronto downtown (Eaton Centre and Yonge-Dundas Square)

We were at Toronto downtown yesterday to apply for the OHIP. We then proceeded to the busy Yonge street (parang Ayala Avenue) and check out the happenings in Yonge-Dundas Square, the equivalent of Times Square in New York City. There was an event for the Toronto International Film Festival and I heard Hollywood celebrities will be there for the promotion of their movies at the TIFF (I wanted to see George Clooney, Drew Barrymore, Jennifer Aniston, Matt Damon etc, etc). But since it was still early by the time we arrived, we skipped this and proceeded to Eaton Centre for shopping (which I preferred, hehehe - feeling Rebecca Bloomwood of the Shopaholic fame).

The mall shops are on sale so we took the opportunity to get boys clothes at a bargain. I noticed that the Eaton mall here built under the building because instead of going up, we descended floors to go to the stores we want to shop. Familiar stores like Old Navy, Gap, Aeropostale, H & M, SEARS etc. are located in this one big mall. Shoppers abound everywhere and there are also lots of Pinoys here. Kyle commented, "Mommy, bat ang daming kapareho natin usap dito? Parang SM" (Why is it that there are many people who speak the same language as us? It's like SM - a big mall in the Phils.) I couldn't help but laugh, my son is very observant and the comparison is valid. Pinoys are really fond of malling. I just replied, "They also want to shop here that's why." We had dinner at KFC - another malling ritual back home, then we went home.

Going there is by bus and subway. Alexus was on his stroller all the time and when we were transferring to another train, I noticed him gazing at all these people and I guess he was overwhelmed and he looked puzzled. When we were at the train going to Yonge, he looked up at me and started to cry. My baby looked helpless in his stroller but I couldn't carry him as we are standing in an almost full train. I guess he is just not used to being with many people and the scene scares him. We need to go out more often and shop too (hehehe, Becky again thinking in her shopaholic moments). Next time, we will bring a camera for you to see Toronto downtown...more to see here like CN Tower, Union Square, Harbourfront centre, Spadina (shopping again here) Cabbagetown...etc etc.

1 comment:

Meryl (proud pinay) said...

What a great day! ^_^ Thanks for sharing