Tuesday 8 April 2008

Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island

I realized that this country is so nationalistic, patriotic and it is evident in the manner they show off, preserve and protect their nation's symbols. I now wonder how many flags can be seen along Ayala Avenue because it is not as many as what I've seen here. OH maybe during Independence Day celebration, but here I think it's all year-round and the flags as too big or too many you can't miss them.

Statue of Liberty was a gift from France. Bartholdi, the creator, with the help of Gustave Eiffel of Eiffel Tower planned and executed the existence of this great monument. After September 11 incident, the US government made extra effort to protect Liberty, their symbol of freedom. I remember one description from the museum inside the statue - "a door to new hope, welcoming those who are ready to accept new challenges". I was amazed how Liberty came to being. The museum explained how it was planned, gave the details of each material used and how it was built. I just suddenly became interested with history. Anyway, we enjoy the photo shoot with Liberty, we were jumping and laughing hard to capture Liberty's moment. Ellis Island was also interedting but since I know I don't have ancestors who may have been one of the first immigrants who passed through Ellis Island, we skipped the tour.








Inside the Liberty Monument - The Face


No comments: