Monday 26 December 2011

Boxing Day

The day after Christmas, December 26th, is statutory holiday called Boxing Day across Canada. Boxing Day like the day after Thanksgiving, Black Friday, in the U.S. is THE big shopping day in Canada. Stores, malls and most retailers are open and generally continue till New Year's. it's the day that shopaholics like me look forward to grab great deals.

When I first came to Canada, I thought that boxing day meant boxing your way to the shops in lining up to the door before it opens, or when getting the items and lining up for the cashiers. The crowded shops meant rubbing elbows with other shoppers, and literally boxing them to be the first to grab the deals. LOL! Advantage sa mga Pinoys yun because of Pacquiao'sFame, right? But I found out it has a different meaning. Several theories exist on how Boxing Day got its name. It may come from a tradition in the U.K. in which household employers boxed gifts for their servants. One thing is for certain, the name comes from storage boxes, not the sport.

So what did I get from Boxing Day? Ikea Frames for my 3D artwork and crosstitch which we got for 50% off..I didn't brave the crowds at the shops but wanted to try shopping online. I later decided not to because when I shopped online at http://www.bootlegger.com last week, the deals I got were already good only to find out that the prices went down on the boxing day/week. I got disappointed hahaha. Anyway, some deals are valid for a week, I might head to the shops later on, who knows?

On boxing day, after IKEA, the whole family headed to CINEPLEX ODEON to watch Alvin and the chipmunks - chip wrecked.

1 comment:

More Than Words said...

Sounds like you had a fun "boxing day!" I never heard of that holiday till I started blogging!!