Friday 20 February 2009

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (CTS)

CTS or Carpal tunnel syndrome frequently associates with computer users like me. It has become popular with the advent of internet and hand-held devices like PSP and mobile phones. CTS as defined on the net results from repetitive motion or the use of devices like computer keyboards. It affects the median nerve, the nerve that supplies feeling and movement to the thumb and "thumb-side" of the hand. I was diagnosed with Carpal Tunnel Syndrome a few years back, but I returned to Rehab just last year to ease the pain around my right wrist.

I went through Electromyography, or EMG which involves testing the electrical activity of muscles. During EMG, small pins or needles are inserted into muscles to measure electrical activity. The needles are different than needles used for injection of medications. They are small and solid, not hollow like hypodermic needles. Because no medication is injected, discomfort is much less than with shots. With nerve conduction studies, small electrodes were taped to my skin or placed around my fingers. I experienced a mild and brief tingling or shock, sometimes unpleasant. The results revealed mild CTS and can be treated with Physical Theraphy rehabilitation.

After going through 12 sessions treatment, my cts progressed. I was even given a clearance before I went to the US. Now, after giving birth and carrying my 3rd son which is over 6 kilos now, I experience wrist pains again. I went to my rehab doctor and she recommended wearing a wrist splint aside from the regular PT treatment. A wrist split relieve symptoms that can occur from overuse of the hand and wrist. Here's what I'll be wearing:

I hope I get well soon or this gets worse and I might undergo surgery.

No comments: