Thursday 2 January 2014

My goal is to be more healthy this year

Who doesn't want to be healthy? But as my first born said, "healthy food tastes bland - not sweet or salty, it's just plain food". I had to find out how to get eat more nutritious food that are tasty too.  

I still have a bag of flaxseed and I was researching on how to include this in my cooking without letting my kids know.  When they hear unfamiliar ingredients in food, they wouldn't be interested in tasting it so I have to be discreet.   I remember my brother in law Irvin cooked "sisig" and he asked Aloysius to try it, my son said "EWWWW! "upon hearing the answer to his inquiry. He couldn't believe it is pigs ears and cheeks!

Now I have to copy this flaxseed recipes from the Costco magazine to remind me to be healthy not only for myself but also for the kids. I have to try these one of these days:

Country Style Flaxseed Pancakes

1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup milled roasted flaxseed
2 Tbsp sugar
2 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg beaten
1 1/4 cup milk
3 Tbsp melted margarine

Mix first 5 ingredients. Combine egg, milk, margarine and add to dry ingredients. Stir until moistened. Bake on hot griddle.

Yield: 8 pancakes

Omega-3 Breakfast Booster
1/2 1% vanilla Yogurt
3 milled flaxseed
1 cup milk
1 cup berries

Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Serves 2.

Let's start the new year right by eating healthy.  Happy New Year!

No comments: