Saturday 29 October 2011

Doing Turkey Right The First Time

This is my very late Thanksgiving post and my only entry for the month of October. My parents returned home that's why I didn't have the time to do my online stuff. Anyway, I wanted to share here what I did to make our First Thanksgiving in our new home a very special one. My turkey turned out to be very delish according to our guests...here's how I did it:

First, I researched from the internet, asked around and prayed that my first bird will be a success. I combined all I got from google, and took the advice of my officemates to make my turkey moist and kilig to the bones tasty hahaha.

1. Brine - while the bird is being thawed (a day before you intend to roast it), prepare a brine - Put 1/2 cup salt in 8 to 10 cups water with slices of carrots, celery, onions and thyme (I used dried because that's only what I have but fresh thyme is better). Soak the bird for at least 2 hours but overnight is recommended.

2. Prepare the Turkey - Rinse in running water for 1 minute. Wipe with paper towel to remove excess water. Brush with Butter or Herb Paste (see recipe below) inside and outside the turkey. Put the bird in a roast pan with rack and include the carrots, celery and onions under the rack. Put the stuffer inside the Turkey. I used Stove Top Turkey stuffing. Tuck the wings and tie the legs to keep it intact and perfectly formed. Cover with aluminum foil.

3. Bake at 350F for 3-4 hours depending on the weight of the turkey. Baste every now and then. Basting means getting the juices and pouring it again on the turkey. On the last hour, remove the aluminum foil to make the skin golden brown until done. To test if the turkey is done, use a thermometer or check the meat by inserting a bbq stick or fork on the leg part. If the stick comes out clean and is not sticky, the turkey is done.

4. Prepare the Gravy - While the turkey is roasting, boil the neck, heart and liver in 4 cups of water with salt, peppercorn, bay leaf, onion and garlic. Simmer for 3-45 minutes then cool. Strain the broth. Puree the insides in food processor. Next, melt 1/2 cup of butter in a sauce pan and added 6 tbsp of flour, stirring to remove lumps. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes or until the mixture turns light brown. Pour the broth little by little, stir continuously. Add water little by little until thick. Season with salt, pepper then add the pureed giblets and simmer for 5 minutes. Set aside.

5. After the turkey is done. transfer to a serving platter and serve with gravy.

Herb Paste Recipe
3/4 cup butter
3 tbsp minced garlic
2 tbsp rosemary
1 tbsp basil
1 tbsp sage
1 tbsp thyme
1 tbsp italian seasoning
1 tsp ground black pepper
salt

Pictures coming soon.

No comments: