Saturday 5 June 2010

Taming the tongue

I know that God wants me to do this so that I will always be reminded about the true characteristics of a mature Christian. The book of James said that every Christian must be:

1. “Quick to listen, Slow to speak, Slow to become angry” James 1:19
2. Practices the truth “In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead” James 2:17
3. He has the power over his tongue James 1:26

I admit I am a violator of all this especially the 3rd one and I am so sorry for all the wrong, tactless, needless to say words I uttered that hurt people or make fellow Christians stumble. It is my desire to correct the wrongs and to remind myself that's why I am sharing what I have learned from the bible (book of James). May we know how to tame our tongue and be right with God.

The tongue has 3 powers:

1. The power to direct
Bit and rudder: there are circumstances around us that would make us say things and make us sin. Sin on the inside and pressures on the outside are seeking to get control of the tongue. Bit and rudder must be under the control of a strong hand- Jesus Christ

2. The power to destroy
Fire and Animal: Like a fire, a tongue can heat things up. Animal: like an animal wrong words spread poison like Gossip or barking at the wrong tree hoping that it would reach the person
We need God’s help in controlling it . Proverbs 17:27; 14:29
How? The tongue cannot be tamed by man but by God through the heart.
If the heart is filled with hatred, Satan will light the fire. But if the heart is filled with love, God will light the fire.

3. The power to delight
Fountain: provides cool water. Water is life-giving, our words can give life
The mouth of a righteous man is a well of life (Proverbs 10:11)
Tree: hold down the soil, provide beauty and shade, bear fruits.
Fill our heart with God’s words and yield to the Holy Spirit so that He can use us to bring delight to others.

Here are 12 words that can transform lives:

Please
Thank you
I’m sorry
I love you
I’m praying for you

“Give your tongue to God and your heart each day and ask Him to use you to become a blessing to others.”

Praise be to God who will tame our tongue especially mine.

No comments: