Friday 9 February 2018

Travelling for business (there’s more to it than meets the naked eye)


LMS Project for Canada. When I first heard about the project, I really wanted to be part of it because that is the heart of my job – the tracking of training and development in our brewery.  But because I was not a Manager and they had somebody else in mind, I just accepted the fact that I will not be in the project.  The National Manager left and it opened an opportunity again so I tried and sought to be part of the LMS project team.  I was initially chosen as an SME and my manager is going to be the representative but when the actual workshop date was decided, my boss schedule had a conflict, he couldn’t go and so I was sent instead.  I am so grateful because I know the Lord made it possible for me to go to Denver Headquarters to represent not only the Toronto brewery but the whole Canada region.   It was a whirlwind turn of events as my circle of connections just become bigger and wider.  I am thankful that God gave the knowledge and expertise that I can execute and deliver per the team’s expectations.
Adventure. This is my second business trip in Molson and same in UK, I maximize the time by exploring the city and really made friends with my counterparts in the US.    Food, Beer, People are expected but it was also a different experience to be travelling close to Christmas time where the places I visited are all festive and jovial.  It was also cold but I consider it normal and the same temperature from where I came from.






Colorado State Capitol

I enjoyed the walks in the downtown area.  BTW, there is a free bus ride in one street (16th Street Mall) and around the area during rush hours.  What caught my attention are the homeless people in the streets.  I felt sad and worried for them during the cold nights.  I realized that I really matured in my thinking when I would usually say “Ewww, kadiri, ang baho (I don’t want to get close to them, they stink) and now would think about their welfare.  I usually will bring with me a fruit from the hotel where breakfast is free and at night when I would eat out, I will bring the leftover  to give to these homeless people.  My heart would sink every time they will thank me and tell me God bless you.  I will usually leave them with spark in their eyes, hopeful and thankful that God gave them their manna for the day.  I am also teary eyed with joy as it slowly sinks in me that I was an instrument of God’s blessing.
There are a couple of more trips after this one and I always look forward to sharing some food to the homeless.  Of course, the challenges of being a jetsetter (being away from your family, getting in and out of airport security and waiting for delayed flights) are compensated with experience of knowledge sharing (from brain draining activities) and of course, free food, beer and laughter from friends after a long day.  I couldn’t ask for more.

No comments: