Wednesday, 28 December 2016
Monday, 26 December 2016
I do this every year. Here's my 15 for 2015 account and below is my 2016 list. How time flies? It's almost over but I wouldn't let the year pass without listing my top ten blessings for the year.
1. First Travel on my own to be with my parents, my sister and family in Mississippi.
2. Started a new diploma course in Lean Six Sigma at University of Toronto.
3. Went on another solo trip to United Kingdom to represent my department in UK HQ.
4. Bathroom and Kitchen renovation
5. Aloysius received an Honor Roll Certificate for last year's performance
6. Celebrated Lito's Birthday with a Medieval Times Dinner, kids had a blast.
7. Watched NBA Toronto Raptors game from a private VIP box.
8. Reconnected with old friends and gained new friends (virtually and physically) at work and within my inner social circle.
9. First time to attend a Molson Christmas Party for adults. Nice to be dressed up.
10. Entertained guests from Nova Scotia, enjoyed precious time with friends.
I'm forever grateful. Thank you Lord.
Sunday, 25 December 2016
So what’s in it for me?
It’s been our family tradition that every Christmas, we will come up with a newsletter—to highlight every wonderful milestone of the year. We are on our 6th year and I’m still proud to share God’s enormous and even the smallest blessing in our lives. You probably might ask “So what’s in it for me?” Whether we like to admit it or not, we live in a culture of comparison. We are interested with someone’s latest tweet, Instagram or Facebook status update. Social media breeds instant comparison. We feel happy for the person or sometimes inadequate compared to others. I love what Jesus said when Peter asked about John’s future. Yes, he was comparing his future with John’s. “If I want him to remain alive until I return, what is that to you?” John 21:22. In other words, God is trying to say, “stop comparing.”
Acts 4:13 says “when they saw the courage of Peter and John and realized that they were unschooled, ordinary men, they were astonished and they took note that these men had been with Jesus.” They had an AHA moment. They realized that Jesus was really with them and that explained everything. Yes, our newsletter, Instagram, Facebook status updates are our way of telling the world that God is present in our lives, even the behind the scenes.
Appearance, accomplishments , possessions, positions are only what you see, but behind the scenes are not. Just like normal people, we are faced with frustrations, worry and sadness, too. Some family members are sick, or jobless, some have financial issues, some experience professional jealousy, some are afraid of change and the future, and some feel they are not “right”. Yet in all these, God is still with us and we strongly believe that in our inadequacies, God will be there to fill them up. His grace is more than enough for us to continually praise, thank and boast about Him. As you read through our family’s updates or anyone’s, may you also realize what God has done in your life that merits His praise. May God touch you and let you experience Christmas season with abundance of joy, peace and love.
God bless you & your family.
Monday, 12 December 2016
I consider this a Rewards and Recognition act. It is a fulfillment in the People Pillar assessment questionnaire. The Project Team will have a perk after a project is successfully implemented, it is not written but it happened. I am proud to be part of the SAP -EAM team. Now before the team moves to the next Brewery, we had a blast celebrating the team's success at our private box watching the Toronto Raptors and Milwaukee Bucks game. It was an open bar with lots of beer, food and sweets to keep you full while enjoying the game. Of course, the Raptors win, but I also think I was a winner with all the other champions in our team. Thank you for this privilege. Many would raise eyebrows about how I scored that perk, but I knew I deserved it. That's the idea - give a reward and recognize the efforts to celebrate the success and inspire others.
Sunday, 11 December 2016
After our colors were called, we then proceeded to the arena and we were seated very close to the front. Plates from the olden times were in front of us and Lex asked me why there are no forks and knives and I said, we are going to eat the same was as the olden times - by hand. The show started after the introduction of the King and the Princess and all the knight's joining the joust. My kids were very excited joining the crowd cheering for our knight and I found myself doing the same. The atmosphere got more excited as the different games came on and we were shouting loudest when our knight almost won the competition. The photos show how great this night was and the knights were.
There were many knights but My knight in shining armor is of course the star of the night. Happy Birthday to my best friend and partner in life.
Monday, 5 December 2016
Sunday, 4 December 2016
I wanted to look glamorous for the Molson party so even if I know how to apply make up on my own, I had it professionally done by the experts - MAC. My makeup artist noticed my clear skin and she also asked my age range in order to put the appropriate colors. She was surprised (and another make up artist passing by) when they heard me say early 50's. I am happy to hear that my daily skin care ritual pays off.
So for those who wanted to have clear skin and maintain it, here are my tips:
1. You have to be Asian (hahaha sorry, this is genetics we are talking about)
2. Seriously, these steps are the only thing you need to remember - do the following - Clean - Moisturize - Block - Drink.
3. Always wash your hands before touching your face. Do not touch your face if you can avoid it.
4. Wash your face before going to bed. Remove make up thoroughly, use eye cream in removing eye make up. Use a gentle soap and massage your face upwards using the palmar surface (thenar and hypothenar parts near the wrist). Also, clean and sanitize your make up brushes regularly.
5. Use a moisturizer before going to bed and after washing your face in the morning. There are different kinds, there is a specific one suited for your skin type.
6. Use a sunblock even if there is no sun. The UV rays are baking our face so we need to protect it.
Drink and eat healthy
7. Drink lots of water. If the requirement is 8 glasses a day, drink more than that especially when you are working out. I usually don't count coffee and colored drinks in the 8 glasses requirement, it needs to be at least 8 glasses of WATER. Lots of veggies and fruits on your diet too.
Here are my other tips:
8. Use only one brand of skin care or make up. I use MAC, Yonka and Arbonne based on experience, they are gentle and effective on my skin.
9. Get a Facial regularly. When someone massages and treats your face, it's a relaxing experience. Not only do you get refreshing skin, you also get skin renewal if you get those microdermabrasion treatment. Sometimes, I try and use the products that they put on my face in between facials like masks and serums.
10. Put on a positive attitude. Stress, worry and negative emotions don't contribute to a healthy skin. Smile and let go of these bad energies. Trust God and rely on His promises.
If all else fails, don't worry. Outer Beauty is just a front, what's on the inside is more important.
Proverbs 31:30 Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.
1 Samuel 16:7 But the Lord said to Samuel, “Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. The Lord does not look at the things people look at. People look at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.”